HTML Map

Friday, March 1, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss!

Everyone is celebrating Theodore Geisel's birthday today!
(Better known as Dr. Seuss.)

Dr. Seuss is near and dear to my heart for a couple reasons.

I absolutely love his books, who doesn't? But I have enjoyed
them my entire life and now enjoy reading them to my kids.

"One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" was the very first book
I ever read completely on my own.
Kayden's first book was "Go Dog Go".

As I grew older I began to understand the messages behind many
of his stories. The history and background to some of his writings
are always interesting to learn about.
Did you know that Yertle the Turtle was originally drawn with a
mustache and was created to represent Hitler?



One of my favorite books we have is
Your Favorite Seuss: A Baker's Dozen by the One and Only Dr. Seuss
which is a collection of stories and essays about Dr. Seuss.

Theodore Geisel lived in San Diego with his wife until he passed away.
To be more exact, he lived in the little seaside community of La Jolla.
We frequented La Jolla's beaches when I was a kid (we still do)
and I remember looking for Dr. Seuss' house as we drove around.
La Jolla is also where I saw my husband for the first time :)



I love seeing people get all Seussed out around this time of year!

 

Even our local Marines took the time to read to students today.


Official USMC photo by Kelly O'Sullivan

So in honor of Dr. Seuss and National Read Across America Day,
take your kids to the library this weekend or spend it with
a good book of your own. After all...

No comments:

Post a Comment