HTML Map

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Deployment Dinners

I always struggle with meal planning during deployment.
Last deployment it was just me and 2 small kids.
This time it's just me and 3 small kids who still don't eat a whole lot.

I always say I'm cooking for 1 and 1/2.

It's a challenge for me to find quick, manageable, healthy dinners
that I don't have to make 8 servings of and that my kids will
actually eat. Nothing is more frustrating for me than slaving over
a wonderful meal and my kids refusing to eat it because its "yucky".

I know I can cut recipes in half or whatever but most of the time
I'm too fricken exhausted from the day to even want to cook 
something with a recipe!

I've worked on it during this deployment and I've found a few meals
that are easy to manage, affordable, quick, healthy and easy to adapt
serving sizes depending on how many mouths you are feeding.

Here are some meals currently in rotation around here...

1. Ravioli
A bag of frozen ravioli and a jar of your favorite sauce
and you have a meal. You just cook as much
ravioli as you need and save the rest for another time.
I also freeze leftover sauce in 1 cup increments
which comes in handy for pasta lunches or your next
ravioli dinner night.

2. Tuna Casserole
 My kids absolutely love tuna casserole. This is one meal
that I will cook and freeze half. I usually cook the 2nd dish
the following week. I use this recipe HERE and FYI,
the potato chips are a must.

3. Tacos
Who doesn't love tacos. Cheap, easy, quick and the kids
can customize their individual servings to their liking.

4. Kraft Chicken
I actually love Kraft's Fresh Take products. They have a few
different options and so far, the ones I've tried are really good.
My kids are very picky about eating meat but they always eat
this when I make it.

5. Pita Pizzas
Pita bread + Pizza sauce + Pizza toppings
Personal pizzas and, again, customizable to each person's
individual taste.

6. BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
For those days when we're super busy or not getting home until
dinner time, I like to make this. Throw the chicken in the crockpot
with some water and BBQ sauce and cook on low for 6ish hours.
 At dinner time shred the chicken and add more BBQ sauce to your liking. 
Serve on hamburger buns or rolls. Always a hit with the kids.

7. Spaghetti
Easyyyyyy. Everyone knows how to make spaghetti, I think. Make it
with meatballs, meat sauce, italian sausage or just noodles and sauce.
I scored a value pack of italian sausage about a month ago at the
commissary for an awesome deal and I'm sure it'll last us through
the rest of the deployment.

8. Hamburgers
When hubby isn't home I cook hamburgers on the stove because I
don't know how to use the grill lol I buy a pack of buns and freeze
what we don't use.

9. Ham & Cheese Sliders
One of my faaaaavorite meals any time of the day! A friend got this
recipe from Pinterest and made it for my baby shower and I've been
in love ever since. The recipe is HERE.

10. Breakfast
Breakfast for dinner is always fun. Pancakes, waffles, french toast, eggs,
bacon, sausage, hash browns. There are so many options and you only need
to cook as much as you need.

I have to add that I serve fruit or veggies with every meal I make. My kids
don't turn their nose up at fruits or veggies and will even eat a good salad.
Fresh fruit always accompanies our breakfast for dinner :)

And one last thing to leave you with. I had my first Five Guys burger
today since they just opened one on base about a block from my house.
All I can say is, this could get dangerous.

 

1 comment:

  1. http://iateskinny.blogspot.com/2013/03/bacon-cheddar-bbq-chicken-on-kaiser.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete