HTML Map

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Does Your Face Light Up?


I remember the first time I saw this clip on Oprah.
It has stuck with me ever since.

Those of you who are around me in person have
probably noticed how I always greet children
around me with a big smile, a big hug, or a compliment.

Well that video is exactly why.
If you didn't watch it and went immediately to
reading this, please watch it before you go any further.

When I had my first baby, my daughter Kayden,
I remember being terrified and thinking
"Every single thing I say or do with this child will
mold her into the type of person she will become."
It scared me! I was so afraid of messing her up!

The further I traveled down the parenting road,
the more I relaxed and acknowledged that we as
parents will make mistakes, but kids just want to be loved.

I had a friend come over today (shoutout! Sam Bam!)
And for a minute I was horribly embarrassed of what
a complete wreck my house is.
But do you know why my house isn't clean?
Because we haven't had time! The kids and I have
been having such a fun busy week bowling, having friends
over, spending all day Wed with our friends and going to the park,
then going to a Girl Scout ceremony for my oldest daughter.
This morning we woke up and headed out for a Valentine's
Day party with our play group.

So my embarrassment quickly vanished when I
realized that I put my kids before my house cleaning
this week, and that's the way it should be.

Children are such special creatures and we should really
pay attention to the way we treat them and the things we
say to them.

I have some personal goals to work on with my own kids:

1. Friday Game Night - Davin is at the age (3) where he can
kind of understand how to play games, take turns and
lose graciously. Not only will regular game nights strengthen
these qualities in my kids, we'll be getting some good quality
time together as well.
2. Saturday Movie Night - We do this probably once or
twice a month but I want to do better about making it
a weekly tradition.
3. Dinner Around the Table - We are very good about doing
this when Andrew's home. But when he's gone, I slack. The
kids sit at the table and I sit on the couch or take bites of my
dinner while unloading the dishwasher. I need to get better
about eating dinner together even when hubby's not here. It's
how Andrew and I were both raised and I feel its important.
4. Listening - I really try to do this, but I do need to get a little
better. Getting down to their level, giving them my full attention
and truly listening to them. Whether its a "silly" story they have,
or a complaint, or a question, I want them to know that what
they have to say is important to me and important enough for my
full, undivided attention.

Whether you have kids or don't, please let your face light up
when one walks into the room :)

My Babies, Nov 2011

5 comments:

  1. Love this, so much! Too often I forget that it is okay if the house is messy and that kids will make messes. I am taking steps towards "fixing" that part of me that hates even small messes, but it takes some time.
    Also, Toni Morrison is one of my favorite authors so double love here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good mommy is one who tries! There are a lot of lazy parents out there. These babies depend on us.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this! Man, I can't wait to be in the Mommy club with you guys! I told the husband I at least want to be pregnant by the time I turn 24, so here's to hoping!

    ReplyDelete