HTML Map

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Curriculum '13-'14

I don't think I've ever researched anything as thoroughly 
as I've researched 1st grade homeschool curriculum.

There are SO MANY options.

I was so intimidated and overwhelmed in the beginning,
but then it got fun. I've actually really enjoyed piecing
together Kayden's curriculum for the 2013-2014 year.

Of course we had the option of just purchasing a boxed
curriculum that had everything we would need, but I quickly
discovered that I was way too picky to do that. I couldn't find
anything that I was 100% satisfied with.

One reason I want to homeschool my kids is to have
the ability to sculpt their curriculum to fit their needs.
By doing Kindergarten this year I've been able to see my
daughter's strengths and weaknesses. I've gotten to know
her learning style and what works best for her.

So after months and months and hours and hours of
researching, I believe I've found a fit for her 1st grade year.

Math


I've chosen Horizons for our math curriculum. She's already
doing Horizon's K workbooks and we love them!

Language Arts


I knew for sure that I wanted to do AAS this year but it took me a while to
choose a reading curriculum. We will give AAR a try and see how it goes.

Science


everywhere I look. From what I've read, its a completely new approach
to learning science. What I liked about it is the ideas and guidance offered
to adapt what you're learning to the student's every day life. I really wanted
a fun science curriculum, outside of a textbook, and I think I've found it.

History


Kayden's been learning about history this year through the American
Girl books. The first series we finished was Felicity, which took place
in 1774 in Williamsburg, Virginia. She learned a little bit about the
Boston Tea Party and Revolutionary War and how America began.
I wanted to continue studying history of the United States so I chose 
Adventures in America for our history curriculum.

So that's it! If you are an experienced homeschooler, I'd love your
opinion on my choices! This will be our first official year of school
and I want to make sure I have all the bases covered.

I love homeschooling :)


****EDIT****

Doing both AAR and AAS ended up being more than I could afford this
school year. So I have changed our spelling curriculum to Soaring With Spelling

2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I had many friends do homeschooling when they were younger but I've never thought about the parental side of it. I love that you've mixed curriculums to fit your children's specific strengths and weaknesses. You seem like a really wonderful mom and I'm so excited to see what kind of progress you have throughout the year. This is exciting to read about and I hope you'll blog about it more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It's so good to hear that someone is interested in it! lol I find it exciting too and I will continue to blog about it so stay tuned! :)

      Delete