HTML Map

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Fab New Fad

Juicing is all the rage right now.
I'm not exactly sure what brought on this new fad
but I'm not complaining.
I love seeing people make the effort to do 
something good for themselves.

I knew I wanted to jump on the bandwagon but I
wasn't sure where to start.
The juicers I found were kind of expensive and I
was worried about the cost of all those fruits and veggies.

Then my friend added me to her group on Facebook
I started reading everyone's tips and comments and
suggestions and I really got inspired.

Someone mentioned the Ninja blender for blending your
fruits and veggies into a smoothie instead of juicing and
I decided this was more my style.

I headed to the PX the next day and picked up the Ninja.
I love that you can blend right into the cup, pop the lid on
and take it with you on the go. So convenient!


I was soooo eager to try it out but I hadn't gone grocery
shopping in a few days and I was in dire need of fresh
produce in my house. But I scoured the fridge for something
and came up with this concoction of  blueberries, cucumber,
and cranberry juice. Not too bad if I do say so myself.


After a trip to the store I made this smoothie. Banana, pineapple,
the juice of one lemon and vanilla almond milk. YUM.


 I continued experimenting for the rest of the week and
I now plan on making this part of my daily routine.

I wanted to do this for a few reasons.

1. I have this weird dislike of fruits. It's rare that I find
a fruit that I will actually eat, especially in large quantities.
It kind of bums me out because I still want the vitamins and
antioxidants from them. I will, however, drink a fruit
smoothie no problem.

2. I don't like to eat first thing in the morning and by the
time I get hungry I'm usually too busy to stop and make
myself something to eat. If I do eat, its something quick
and most likely unhealthy. Since I got the Ninja, I've been
making myself a smoothie around 10am every morning and
another one mid-afternoon. That's wayyyy more fruits and
vegetables than I usually eat on a typical day.

3. In November 2011 I had a pretty big surgery on my gall bladder.
I had a big gall stone stuck in the common bile duct and had to
have emergency surgery to remove it as well as the gallbladder 
itself. My digestive system took a little beating during the whole
deal and although I can stomach most foods, I do get sick sometimes
with bad stomach pains. I read about the benefits of juicing/blending
and how easy it is on your digestive system and that's really what had me sold.
Not only is the process of juicing/blending good for it, but the foods
I add to the smoothies have their benefits too.

I'm really excited about this change in my lifestyle.

For more inspiration, check out the documentary 
Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix!

6 comments:

  1. I have been hooked on smoothies recently too! I am terrible about eating veggies so I feel so good when I can sneak a ton of spinach into a smoothie and get all those nutrients so early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a wonderful feeling? :) I feel so healthy!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh You have inspired me to experiment with my smoothies! Thanks lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww you inspire me in so many other ways! I'm glad I can inspire you back :)

      Delete
  3. I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead on Netflix about a month ago and knew that I had to start juicing. I am currently in the "Uhhhh where do I start" phase still lol. I have been doing research and also felt the juicing machines were so expensive and I seen that it can cost around 150 a week to juice...holy molie! I am glad that you posted the facebook page that helped you because I am going to check it out. And I love the idea of getting the ninja instead of a traditional juicer. Love your blog! I actually came across you from the 'Share The Love' blog hop and I am so glad that I did!

    Justina @ http://justinawho.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! You're so sweet! Yea I just had to wing it too! I'm still sticking to fruit smoothies. I haven't ventured into the "green" smoothie world too much, that intimidates me lol But I will work on it!

      Delete