HTML Map

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Shutdown From My POV

I've been married to my husband for almost 8 years and we have gotten
the "no paycheck" threat before. It always got figured out before payday
though and didn't really affect us. I just figured the same thing would
happen this time so I wasn't phased much when I heard about it.

Payday came, and we got paid. I paid the bills. We were good.
But then there was more. Closing the commissary? No more FRO?
Even the possibility of our hospital cutting hours? What is going on!
Surely that won't actually happen. But it did.

Word started to spread that our commissary was going to be open Tuesday,
October 1st, to sell perishables and then it would be closing its doors until
the government figures itself out. I immediately knew that I had to face the
madness at the commissary Tuesday morning if I wanted to feed my family.
I knew it was going to be bad. I had NO idea it was going to be this bad.




Soooo here's the real point of me posting this.
We know a lot of people are suffering in different ways because of this.
Some people are completely without pay and still have to work every day.
Yes, there is always someone worse off than you, but I still think you have the
right to voice your frustrations if it is affecting you. Heck, even if it isn't affecting
you and you are frustrated for those who are. I saw a lot of negativity on Facebook
yesterday about people "freaking out" and "you don't have it that bad." No, maybe
we don't have it as bad as others, but we are hurting too.

I am still bothered by those comments today.
Yes, our commissary closed and I was one of those who stocked up with $400 worth
of groceries in my cart. No, I don't think its the end of the world. But I do find it a lot
more affordable to buy groceries for my family of 5 with commissary prices than shopping
at Staters out in town. So my freezer and fridge is packed with enough food to last us
a while. Even though I saved money by doing this at the comm, I still tipped my bagger $20,
not because I can really afford it, but because I know that we'll continue getting a paycheck
while she is at home waiting for the government to make a decision and because I know
others are more greatly affected than I am.

I guess what I'm getting at is, don't bring more negativity into this situation than there
already is. People are scared and emotional and just trying to take care of their families.
Our government just threw a huge wrench into a lot of people's routine lives and its not
exactly easy. Support each other, listen to each other, help each other, just don't be rude.
Don't argue politics, don't make people feel bad or stupid for feeling the way they do, don't
try to one-up anybody else on how much this shutdown hurts you.
It's unnecessary and not going to help anything.

Oh and read this article, its spot on:
 http://www.militaryspouse.com/articles/shutting-up-while-we-shutdown/

I really hope this is all over with soon!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great points! I have no idea how you even had the courage to go in the commissary if that's what you showed up to!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we lived closer to the commissary so I could shop there. It is cheaper, but not worth the time to drive down there. I can understand stocking up because of price, but I don't understand the people who acted like they have no other way to get food. There are grocery stores out there. They may be more expensive and not as convenient, but they are there! I applaud you for braving those lines! I don't know that I would have done it, even if I normally shop there.

    ReplyDelete